Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Bye Bye Desks

I've actually been without desks for a couple of years now.  It all started back when I was teaching Read 180.  That program required the students to rotate from group to group.  Since I was also had my own homeroom group, rotating got to be a bit of an issue.  My homeroom students would come back to find that the contents of their desks had been disturbed.

That's when I decided to take all the books out of the desks and store them on bookcases around the room.  Even workbooks!  Desks got turned around so that the opening was not available as a trash receptacle.  Now everyone had access to their materials, but no one was having their personal belongings riffled through.    Students stored their belongings in a backpack; much like middle or high school.

Even this backward desk system had its flaws.  Students really enjoyed rocking the empty desks and hiding things inside them.  My little squirrels!  At the end of that year, I asked my principal if she would purchase me round tables.  We actually had enough in storage to fit the bill.

This is my second year of round tables and I love it.  No one ever leaves their homework in their desk.  I never find pencil shavings sprinkled about a desk.  No one ever has anyone touching their stuff.  I do have more collaboration.  Students are physically closer to one another, making it easier to work together.  I do have more time to teach.  It actually takes less time to pass out 33 workbooks than to have 33 kids get out their own workbook.  I do have a calmer environment.  The cleaner space creates a calm vibe in my class.  Plus those plants are awesome.  One former custodian, Dan (may he rest in peace) likened my room to a lounge.

What the Teacher Learned:  It's always good to rethink a tradition.  Just because it's been done that way for 100 plus years, does not make it the best way.


No comments:

Post a Comment